Journaling in organizations, particularly large and enterprise organizations using Microsoft Exchange, suffer from two critical problems.
- Archiving performance and backlog
- Duplicate indexes, where a message hits multiple journal mailboxes
Organizations have to invest in significant journaling resources and infrastructure to keep on top of a continual stream of compliance messages, which is increasing day by day.
One of the driving factors for multiple journal mailboxes is the sheer load placed on the archiving system while a journal task is running. Each storage service can only maintain a specific number of messages archived per hour. Once that threshold is reached, it is time to split to a new journal mailbox, which results in duplication and load increases.
Globanet Balance (patent pending) was designed to solve the two problems noted above with the following solutions:
- Load balancing between multiple centralized journal mailboxes, thereby reducing the number of journal mailboxes an organization needs
- Eliminating index duplication, so messages do not end up in multiple journal mailboxes
Globanet Balance allows organizations to immediately:
- Reduce the number of duplicates across journal archives in Enterprise Vault on a go-forward basis without significant changes
- Consolidate journal activity across multiple shared servers to fewer shared journals, removing indexing and storage service archiving loads
- Eliminate the processing of duplicate messages in Enterprise Vault journal archiving, where one message is sent to multiple recipients and distributed across the journal infrastructure in a multi-instance fashion
- Significantly reduce storage requirements in indexes and on SQL servers by removing multiple references to the same message from different journal archives
- Improve ediscovery and search performance, i.e., a smaller index means less duplicate hits, and less hits mean less time spent culling and searching data
- Significantly reduce Enterprise Vault infrastructure size, meaning potentially less SQL databases, shorter backup windows, less data classification services (DCS) and less journal archiving tasks and servers
How It Works
Globanet Balance allows organizations to reduce their journaling to just a single set of centralized or regional journal mailboxes without multiple journal mailboxes and archiving tasks in each location. The solution redistributes journal mail in a round-robin fashion, allowing messages for all users to be evenly distributed into a centralized mailbox set.
Globanet Balance is a simple Windows Service that offers extensive logging and reporting with a fast and easy installation to get load balancing started.
Typical Journaling Infrastructure (click on image to see full size):
Journaling Infrastructure with Globanet Balance (click on image to see full size):
To learn more, download the data sheet.